Not all the data downloaded.

Feb 27, 2015 at 7:24 PM
I have 2008 component and 2014 component. I am trying to download Date, PageLevel1, PageLevel2, PageLevel3, PageLevel4 along with PageViews and UniquePageVeiws. I am getting partial data downloaded and does not match what is displayed on GA web portal. I have "All Sessions" value selected under Segments tab. I am using latest version of Dimensions and Metrics XML file. Can someone please advice?
Feb 27, 2015 at 11:47 PM
I believe it may have a 1000 record download limit. Has anyone else experienced this? We are able to download all other data just fine. Facing issues with download of page views against path level 1 and 2. I run a loop per day so I do not get into sampling.
Coordinator
Mar 17, 2015 at 3:56 PM
Edited Mar 17, 2015 at 3:56 PM
The component has only a limitation in the number of queries per day (across all users), but this is never reached.
If you are using a Google Analytics Standard Account, you have many various limitations in your account.
See for example here: https://support.google.com/analytics/answer/1042498?hl=en

Cheers,

Tillmann
Jun 26, 2015 at 3:02 AM
Hi Tillmann,

I am also facing a similar issue where the GA front end portal is showing different number then what i can download using SSIS. I had a discussion with the Google support team and they are saying there is no restriction on the account i am using. They also use Tableau to connect and get the same results as what is showing on the front-end. Could you please advise what would be the possible reason for this.

One other point is there a way i can check what is going out (request) from component to Google API ?

Thanks for your help n advance.
Jun 26, 2015 at 5:03 AM
Okay, when Google enforced new security API couple of months ago, 2008 component stopped working for me. At that point I went ahead and built a php script to download the same data as mentioned in my original post. I realized that Google does paging of data when dataset contains more rows than what a page can contain. Default page is 1000 rows, but you can change it to go up to 10000 rows. In the XML returned by Google API call, it also provides you total row counts, allowing you to count the number of pages and then loop through them. After I deployed new php code, I was able to download last few years worth of page level history with complete accuracy.

Our company has pretty big database with GA and this allows me to download all the data without sampling or erroring out on number of queries per day. My process runs for days continuously to download data and my SQL database matches 100% to GA data.

The only thing that is frustrating is that Google changes GA data historically. Meaning, as of 6/25/2015, they could change data from January 2015 depending on corrections in their data processing logic. It may be challenging to keep the data in sync, but for analytics purpose, those minor differences should not matter.

Posting this with hopes that it would help someone understand this process more.

Finally, thanks Tillmann, for all the work you are doing and to keep the product free.

Cheers!

Palak
Jun 28, 2015 at 10:51 PM
Hi Palak,

Thanks for the reply but how this solve the issue i am facing ?

The number of records i am retrieving from GA is not more than 1000 rows because i am putting the filter on the date.

and also i could not find any place in the control to change this ?

AM i missing something here ?

Please help.

Thanks
Faisal Mirza
Jun 29, 2015 at 2:09 AM
Faisal,

I do not believe you are not missing anything. I do not believe the 2008 control supports paging. Tillmann can correct me if I am wrong since he is the inventor. I am not sure if subsequent versions of the control has this ability. If not, your option is to go with scripting like I did, or request Tillman to include this functionality. Assuming Tillmann has been coding this for several years, I am sure he is aware of this and likely this is covered in newer versions of the control

Tillmann?

Thanks!

Palak