Data just isn't right... maybe cutting off data?

Oct 15, 2014 at 7:16 PM
Edited Oct 15, 2014 at 7:22 PM
I've been working on trying to find a solution to my issue for a while, but I am at a dead end.

Essentially, I wrote my own application to grab GA data out with the API, so I am trying to compare outputs from SSIS to my app (Google Analytics API) and this SSIS package is only returning part of the result. I am using the data viewer to review the information before I start connecting databases and stuff.

For example:
Dims: UserID (custom dim)
Mets: Users
SSIS Output: 3808 rows -- API Output: 3808 rows

If I add a dimension, like date, the result goes up slightly, which is expected - just people returning to the site:
SSIS Output: 4225 rows -- API Output: 4225 rows ... perfect!

If I had page and city to dimensions:
SSIS Output: 5041 rows -- API Output: 10,827 rows... WTF? It looks like it is sorted alphabetically by City in my case, and it ends with Kyiv... so it seems to be cutting off the other half of the list.

Next, I add region, country and browser to the dims.
SSIS Output: 2893 rows -- API Output: 10,838 rows. (At this point, there isn't much segregation happening, so it's expected that the rows don't increase much... but the SSIS output is dismal. In this case, it's sorted by browser, and ends at Chrome... so it is cutting off 75% of the data.

But that is essentially the issue. By the time I put in all 7 dimensions and a couple of metrics, the result goes down to 3 rows in the SSIS package, making it completely useless for me. I am not sure what I am doing incorrectly! Any help?
Coordinator
Oct 15, 2014 at 7:33 PM
Hi doctaj,

which API are you using? Can you share your code?
The component uses the .NET GA API. All data is passed directly to the Pipeline.

Cheers,

Tillmann
Oct 15, 2014 at 7:49 PM
I am using the same thing, I think. It's all based off of a NuGet package: Google.Apis.Analytics.v3 with Google.Apis, Google.Apis.Auth and Google.Apis.Core etc etc.
Oct 15, 2014 at 8:19 PM
I think I have figured out what the issue is...

First, the dataviewer limits the data it shows... [[Embarassed Face]]

Second, there was something wonky with my metrics.xml file for "Time On Page" and "Session Duration".

I think it's all clear now.

Thank you anyway. =)
Oct 16, 2014 at 3:26 PM
Edited Oct 16, 2014 at 3:29 PM
After all this, I realized that there is an error in the metrics.xml that I had to fix. The values for ga:timeOnPage and ga:sessionDuration were set to DT_WSTR (strings), but they should be set as "floats", DT_R8. I changed this in the XML and it seems to be working excellently now!