Keyword dimension field length problem

Mar 19, 2012 at 4:41 PM

Hey,

When using the Keyword dimension, we have several visits with very long search keywords but it appears that the tool is limited to 255 characters for this dimension.  The specific error I see is:

[SSIS GoogleAnalyticsSource] Error: Microsoft.SqlServer.Dts.Pipeline.DoesNotFitBufferException: The value is too large to fit in the column data area of the buffer.   at Microsoft.SqlServer.Dts.Pipeline.PipelineBuffer.SetString(Int32 columnIndex, String value)   at Microsoft.SqlServer.Dts.Pipeline.PipelineBuffer.set_Item(Int32 columnIndex, Object value)   at SSISComponents.GoogleAnalyticsSource.PrimeOutput(Int32 outputs, Int32[] outputIDs, PipelineBuffer[] buffers)

We've been able to use the filters to remove these visits and since they are very rare we aren't missing much, but it would still be nice to get the size of this field increased to the theoretical limit of at least the IE browser which is just a little over 2000 characters.

Thanks,

Matt

Mar 19, 2012 at 4:44 PM

Oops, also the component doesn't actually go into an error status when the error above occurs.  It stays green in the GUI and it's not until I browse the Execution Results tab that I know something has gone wrong.

Coordinator
Mar 19, 2012 at 5:46 PM

Hey Matt,

in the next version it is set up to 2500. You will get it faster than the last one :-)
At the moment I'm looking for a good way to publish the Dimensions and Metrics as a XML-File and not as an embedded resource.
This would solve the datatype and length problems in the long term.

Cheers,

Tillmann

Coordinator
Mar 19, 2012 at 5:46 PM
This discussion has been copied to a work item. Click here to go to the work item and continue the discussion.
Mar 21, 2012 at 4:33 PM

Excellent!

Turning the definitions of the dimensions and metrics into an external XML file that could be modified by users would be great.  Would that mean users could add new dimensions or metrics when they are added by GA rather than having you need to create a new version of the task?

Thanks,

Matt

Coordinator
Mar 21, 2012 at 5:37 PM

Hi,

Yes, the user can then add themselves dimensions and metrics...and they can correct my typos :-)

Cheers,

Tillmann

Jun 12, 2012 at 4:33 PM

Any progress on this?

I've noticed a similar problem with the Language dimension which is much more severe.  With Keyword being too short, we were only missing the occasional visit, but with language, cutting this field off at 8 misses a lot more.  Looking at the data directly from the GA Query Explorer, this field should be at least 14 characters.  There are occasional language codes longer than that, but they look like errors to me (e.g. estm.gif?utmwv=4.8.1ma).

Thanks,

Matt